05 July 2012

4th of July

I wanted to take pictures of our 4th of July but I completely forgot! Sorry.

Mikkel and I started the day with a much appreciated lie-in. He's been sick the past two weeks with a cough/cold and it was nice for him not to get up at 6:30. We didn't sleep in too late though because we had to wash out our truck before we went shopping that day. That was really fun, I'd never done a coin-op car wash so Mikkel was telling me what to do with all the brushes while he scrubbed out the truck bed (he's been doing some stuff with old engine parts so our bed was all oily). I loved covering our truck with the foam that was all different colors!

We then picked up all our people (Gardner, Jessica, Isabelle, and Jon) for a trip to WinCo! I feel kinda silly being so excited to go shopping but it's this cool bulk foods store down in IF and they have really cheap banana chips which I love! And I'm learning to really love buying in bulk, it's SO much cheaper! When my parents come up here I want to take them there because they have a bulk Peanut M&M's which my mother would LOVE.

After that we all took a break and Mikkel finished up his homework while I cleaned the house for our party that night. I've discovered that having people over is a REALLY good incentive for cleaning my house. I'm pretty sure our box/storage room won't get cleaned until my parents come to visit in December : ) Mikkel walked into the bathroom and said "wow, this is so clean, I wish this were my bathroom!" ha ha, so funny...

Our people (plus 1) came back over to our place that evening to have Isabelle's "traditional 4th of July dinner" which consisted of a bucket of KFC, watermelon, and cherries. Gardner and Mikkel decided we needed Purple Drank to go with it so that we could have the stereotypical southern favorite meal. Everything was really good! I ate so much I had to have Mikkel finish off my plate (he's so lucky to have me, right?) and everybody loved the mashed potatoes Gardner and I made! I make fantastic mashed potatoes, just for the record. We ended up watching Batman Begins, I don't know why, I guess Batman does fight for the independence of the citizens of Gotham...either way it was a fun evening and a fun and happy holiday!

Mikkel and Lise's Mashed Potato Recipe

7-9 Medium sized brown potatoes
1/3 cup milk (add more at the end if not creamy enough)
3/4 Stick of salted butter (about 6 Tbs)
1/4 Packet cream cheese (about 2 oz)
A couple shakes of dried chives
Garlic salt to taste
Pepper to taste

After washing, peeling, cubing, and boiling potatoes until they are soft, mix the potatoes and milk with a hand mixer. Cream in butter and cream cheese. I usually taste them at this point and add more milk (or sometimes butter) if the consistency isn't right. Then add the spices until you get it tasting how you want it!

No comments:

Post a Comment